The Dani, Lani and Yali are the main tribes inhabiting the striking Baliem valley of Papua. These tribes still firmly hold on to their cultures and traditions. This is most apparent in the clothes they wear when performing rituals. Not bothered with the cold climate of the highlands, men only wear Koteka (penis cover). The women dress themselves in Sali, frilly skirts made of ferns, coupled with a Noken bag that is curled around the head, and made of the same material as the Sali. During festivities they dress themselves up in colorful headdresses made of feathers from Cendrawasih birds, cassowaries, forest chickens, parrots, and cockatoos.The residents of the Baliem Valley use the Noken to carry around anything from crops to small children.
Every August the Baliem Valley Cultural Festival is held in the Jayawijaya regency. The festival started in 1989 and is usually held before the celebration of the independence day of the Republic of Indonesia. It is the oldest cultural festival in Papua and celebrates Baliem-style traditions. Each District sends a contingent to participate in this festival. The Jayawijaya Regency counts 40 districts. As the contingent of each district contains around 30 people or more, there will be at least 1200 people performing. Imagine the hustle and bustle taking place in the festival arena. War Dances with various background scenarios form the main menu. Tribal wars used to be an inseparable part of the inhabitants of the Baliem Valley. War first, talk later. Currently, wars are fought out in the arena of the festival shows. In this show of warfare, the performers are fully ornamented and wear various traditional attributes.
SpektakelPlesir! offer a program of attending the Baliem Valley festival. An experience you shall not going to get anywhere else. Celebrating the majestic of these humble people. Of which performing the best way they can for the continuity of the culture they embrace proudly.
Day 1: Tuesday, August 6, 2019.
Jayapura – Wamena
Flight: Jayapura – Wamena,
Meals: lunch, dinner.
Arrive in Jayapura, then we continue to fly to Wamena (± 1 hour flight). After lunch, we go straight to Obia village, Kurulu, district. To watch the locals performing dances and stone burning (bakar batu). Then we check-in to the hotel in late afternoon.
Day 2: Wednesday, August 7, 2019.
Baliem valley festival arena.
Meals: breakfast, lunch, dinner.
After breakfast, we go to the festival arena to see the opening ceremony. We will spend the entire day at the festival. Watching the excitement of the locals performing their traditional acts.
Day 3: Thursday, August 8, 2019.
Around the Baliem valley.
Meals: breakfast, lunch, dinner.
Today we will go to several spots in Baliem valley. Start by going up to Lake Habema, one of the highest lake in Southeast Asia. Then we head for Baliem Valley Resort to check the stunning landscape of Baliem. Afterward we will visit one of the village who still kept the mummified “Great Chief”.
Day 4: Friday, August 9, 2019.
Around the Baliem valley and the festival arena
Meals: breakfast, lunch, dinner
After breakfast we shall go to few other spots in Wamena. After lunch we go back to the festival arena to watch the closing ceremony and the announcement of the winners from the performers.
Day 5: Saturday, August 10, 2019.
Wamena – Jayapura
After breakfast, we will be drop to the airport to fly to Jayapura. From Jayapura we fly back to each of our origin city.
The journey’s end.
- April 2019 to July 12, 2019
- Limited seats available:
- Minimum 8 person, maximum 10 person.
- Booking fee: 33% from quotation.
- Repayment should be done 14 (fourteen) days before the departure date.
Starting point: Sentani airport, Jayapura, Papua. Tuesday, August 6, 2019.
End Point: Sentani airport, Jayapura, Papua. Saturday, August 10, 2019
- Participants with chronic or congenital disease have to inform Spektakel Plesir! in writing prior to the trip.
- Spektakel Plesir! are not responsible for delays / changes of flight schedule or missing the flight due to the participants’ oversight. The travel plan will be modified properly in case of delay / change of flight schedule. Any additional costs incurred due to missing the flight will be charged to the participants.
- In case of flight cancellation on the departure day, any matters related to the participation in the trip have to be discussed first. If the final decision is to cancel/postpone the trip, refund of the trip expenses will be distributed after recalculation of the refundable fees to the participants is made.
- In case of flight cancellation on the return day that results in additional cost, discussion will be held to share the cost with other participants.
- Sailing, snorkeling, diving (including free-diving), trekking, hunting, and other activities done during the trip are high-risk activities that can produce minor or major incident.
- Registration and participation in this trip are done with the full consent of the participants without any coercion. Accidents that occur during the trip are the responsibility of the participants. Spektakel Plesir! are not to be sued in the event of accident. However, Spektakel Plesir! will help as far as possible if this happens.
- Every trip schedule has been well planned in consideration of nature and weather condition, but if extreme weather changes take place during the trip, resulting in changes and/or cancellation of the trip, Spektakel Plesir! cannot be condemned for this force majeure.
- Various additional activities (optional) to be done during the trip have to undergo the confirmation of Spektakel Plesir! prior to departure.
- This trip is protected by local travel insurance.
- Trip participants are considered to agree with the General Terms of this trip in case of the lack of email/confirmation to Spektakel Plesir! prior to the departure day regarding the aforementioned conditions.